The MAX3222/MAX3232/MAX3237/MAX3241 transceivers have a proprietary low-dropout transmitter output stage enabling true RS-232 performance from a 3.0V to 5.5V supply with a dual charge pump. The devices require only four small 0.1µF external charge-pump capacitors. The MAX3222, MAX3232, and MAX3241 are guaranteed to run at data rates of 120kbps while maintaining RS-232 output levels. The MAX3237 is guaranteed to run at data rates of 250kbps in the normal operating mode and 1Mbps in the MegaBaud™ operating mode, while maintaining RS-232 output levels.
The MAX3222/MAX3232 have 2 receivers and 2 drivers. The MAX3222 features a 1µA shutdown mode that reduces power consumption and extends battery life in portable systems. Its receivers remain active in shutdown mode, allowing external devices such as modems to be monitored using only 1µA supply current. The MAX3222 and MAX3232 are pin, package, and functionally compatible with the industry-standard MAX242 and MAX232, respectively.
The MAX3241 is a complete serial port (3 drivers/5 receivers) designed for notebook and subnotebook computers. The MAX3237 (5 drivers/3 receivers) is ideal for fast modem applications. Both these devices feature a shutdown mode in which all receivers can remain active while using only 1µA supply current. Receivers R1 (MAX3237/MAX3241) and R2 (MAX3241) have extra outputs in addition to their standard outputs. These extra outputs are always active, allowing external devices such as a modem to be monitored without forward biasing the protection diodes in circuitry that may have VCC completely removed.
The MAX3222, MAX3232, and MAX3241 are available in space-saving TSSOP and SSOP packages.
- For Smaller Packaging:
- MAX3228E/MAX3229E: +2.5V to +5.5V RS-232 Transceivers in UCSP™
- For Integrated ESD Protection:
- MAX3222E/MAX3232E/MAX3237E/MAX3241E/MAX3246E: ±15kV ESD-Protected, Down to 10nA, 3.0V to 5.5V, Up to 1Mbps, True RS-232 Transceivers
- For Low-Voltage or Data Cable Applications:
- MAX3380E/MAX3381E: +2.35V to +5.5V, 1µA, 2Tx/2Rx RS-232 Transceivers with ±15kV ESD-Protected I/O and Logic Pins
- Battery-Powered Equipment
- Handheld Equipment
- High-Speed Modems
- Notebook, Subnotebook, and Palmtop Computers